Our open access journal program accepts proposals from UVA faculty, staff, and students who are editors or editorial board members in any discipline.
We welcome editors and board members who wish to move an existing journal, move from paywalls to open access, or start a new journal.
Standard services for all journals
- Open access journal management system – editors are provided with the Janeway journal management and publishing system. This system gives editors an easy way to manage their workflow and communications, including receiving manuscripts, coordinating peer review, and publishing articles.
- Web hosting and basic journal design – we will create and host your journal website. This includes a choice of Janeway journal theme, logo design, and color selections.
- Domain registration and management – this includes a custom URL for journals
- ISSN management and DOI registration with DataCite
- Optimized for discoverability – journals are indexed in Google Scholar and follow the OAI-PMH protocol for interoperability and wider discoverability. RSS feeds are available.
- Archiving and preservation via CLOCKSS
- Statistics – we provide statistics for editors and article-level metrics (altmetrics)
- Technical support and initial training
- Advice on publishing practices and copyright
Optional services (limited subsidies available)
- Article production – XML and PDF creation with technical copyediting, which is a production quality process, which includes checking metadata, image quality, citation matches
- Back content migration
Role and Responsibilities
- Provision of journal management system to support full editorial workflow and publication
- Website hosting and limited customization (choice of theme and basic design elements)
- Provide initial training and on-going technical support and documentation
- ISSN management and DOI registration for articles in DataCite
- Preservation in CLOCKSS
- Editorial and article statistics
- Advice on publishing practices, policies, and copyright
- Notifying editors of expected downtimes and technical upgrades
With advanced agreement:
- Migrate backfiles
- Article production in XML and PDF formats with agreed upon limits
- Establishing and maintaining journal policies, practices, and procedures, including making updates via the journal management system
- Administering and managing editorial workflows, including solicitation of manuscripts, peer review, and consistent publishing
- Agree to Aperio’s Practices and Policies, including publishing fully open access and adhering to Committee on Publishing Ethics (COPE) guidelines
- Work with authors to secure any necessary copyright permissions
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Manage journal promotion, social media, and/or mailing lists
- Responding to Aperio communications in a timely manner
- Managing applications to abstracting and indexing services
- Continuity and sustainability plans for their journal. This includes providing Aperio with multiple contacts for each journal and notifying us of changes in journal management.
- Student editors must have their journal sponsored by a UVA faculty member or academic unit. Students must develop a succession plan.
- Provide financial work tags for agreed upon cost-sharing
As a service of the University of Virginia Library, we provide our standard services to all journals at no cost. We can provide optional services within certain limits. Editors aiming to publish at higher volumes and/or with specific/complex needs will be asked to cover additional charges.
If you would like to publish a journal with us, please review our other practices and policies as well before contacting firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an initial consultation.
Deadlines and Review Process
Please refer to the Proposal Information page for the latest information.